Phone: (+64) 9 309 8889 Email:


In 2007 the New Zealand Government passed a law requiring those who give immigration advice to be licensed. As a result, since May 2009, the New Zealand immigration industry has become fully regulated.

Immigration advisers operating outside New Zealand have been licensed since May 2010.

This means if you use an immigration adviser to lodge your application, he or she must hold a current licence.

The purpose of the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007 is to protect migrants, and enable you to receive accurate, ethical advice from licensed professionals. A licensed immigration adviser must abide by an established Code of Conduct, which covers: written agreements, confidentiality, client funds, disputes and all other important matters pertaining to you as the client.

Licensed advisers are overseen by the Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA). Their user friendly website covers all aspects of licensing, including their formal complaints procedure. You can also contact them on:

Free-phone: 0508 422 422 within New Zealand | Email:

New Zealand Passport

There are a variety of reasons why people choose to use immigration advisers.

Among the most important are getting their visa quickly, receiving a professional service which makes the process go more smoothly, and benefiting from the adviser’s knowledge and experience when it comes their own particular situation.

Friends and family might mean well, but do not always provide accurate immigration advice!

  • Immigration policy is often more complex than it looks; it’s easy to get confused by the policy which doesn't always explain your individual circumstances·        
  • If you lodge an incomplete application, it slows down the processing time. An adviser will ensure you submit all the necessary documentation, speeding up the process
  • The immigration process is time consuming and can be frustrating. Some people prefer to hire a professional to avoid the stress
  • If you get professional advice it is more likely your application will be successful
  • If English is not your first language, you will benefit from having an English speaking local represent you.
  • If you’ve lodged your own application and experienced difficulties or been declined, an immigration adviser can advocate on your behalf.
  • If you or your family have health or character issue an adviser can offer the best course of action
  • Licensed immigration advisers are obliged to pursue ongoing study in order to retain their annual licence, which means they have up to date knowledge of INZ policy
  • If you’re new to the country your immigration adviser is often your first point of contact and can provide you with local information to help you get settled